Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Alvida, Asheem

The opening call of "Bandeh" sounds like someone calling out not to you, but to something inside of you. It makes you drop everything and pay a listen. And what a listen it turns out to be. The song epitomizes what Indian Ocean's music is all about - a fusion of styles that span eras and geographies, nectar to one's ears.

Asheem Chakravarty, the band's founder, percussionist and vocalist, passed away on Christmas Day in New Delhi. I had not heard the band's music until about three months ago, and saw them perform for the first time a week later. I know practically nothing of his personal life. And yet, Asheem's passing saddens me like that of a close friend's would. In all my years, this is probably my first experience of how an art form can connect people. It's a very exhilirating, yet humbling experience.

The voice might be gone, but I hope the band plays on. It's time to light up, pop in a CD, and reminisce in the memories of a departed friend.

Asheem Chakravarty. Good musician. Good man. Rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home